Team up fluid milk with Nabisco cookies and crackers and what do you get? People drinking more milk.
According to Information Resources, Inc., a leading market research firm, the July 2003 to January 2004 "Dunk and Win" promotion between Nabisco and fluid milk boosted milk sales by 160 million pounds. That makes it the most successful retail milk promotion ever conducted by the national dairy checkoff.
The nationwide retail promotion centered on a "Dunk and Win" sweepstakes that awarded $1 million to the holder of a special Oreo® cookie that, when dunked in milk, turned the milk blue. The program featured instant redeemable coupons for $1 off the purchase of one gallon of milk and one package of Oreos or other Nabisco cookie products. Of nearly four million coupons, more than 20 percent were redeemed.
Other promotion elements included:
- Nearly 15,000 in-store Nabisco cookie displays that prominently featured "got milk?®" logos and milk splash graphics.
- More than 10 million Oreo cookie packages and 15 million Chips® Ahoy! cookie packages that included the "got milk?®" logo and other milk-friendly graphics.
- A checkoff-funded milk and Oreos TV commercial that aired on Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network.
- Nabisco also aired special commercials targeting adults during prime time programming.
"The Nabisco partnership converted the checkoff’s existing TV media buys targeting kids to a joint milk/Oreos commercial. Nabisco incurred all other costs for the promotion," said Paul Rovey, an Arizona dairy producer and chairman of Dairy Management Inc., which manages the national dairy checkoff.
More to come
The dairy checkoff/Nabisco partnership will continue in 2004. Starting in June a "got milk?® get money!" retail promotion will start. During the promotion customers are to collect specially embossed Oreo cookies that feature letters spelling "M-I-L-K." Consumers who collect all four letters will win a $100,000 grand prize. Consumers also can win $1,000 by finding Oreo cookies featuring milk jugs.
Other promotion components include:
- "got milk?®" logos placed on more than 8 million Oreo cookie product packages.
- Nearly 15,000 in-store displays that contain the "got milk?®" logo and milk splash graphics
- Coupon offer to save $1 with the purchase of one gallon of fluid milk and one package of Nabisco cookies
- Television ads targeting adults and children
In addition, a back-to-school promotion will kick off in August. That promotion will include Oreo cookies embossed with the "got milk?®" logo.