Jefferson City, MO Thu Aug 22, 2013 MO Dept of Ag-USDA Market News
Carthage-Joplin Regional Stockyards
Cow and Bull Auction 8/21/13
Receipts: 497 Last Week: 503 Last Year: 1240
Compared to last Wednesday, the bulk of slaughter cows sold 1.00 higher
with some high-dressing fat breaking cows 2.00 higher and slaughter bulls
sold 1.00 higher. A high percent of the offering went to slaughter. The
offering included a light supply of bred cows and just a few cow/calf pairs.
There is a lot of green grass around and several producers are busy rolling
up some extra forage for their winter supply. Supply was light and demand
good for slaughter classes.
Percent Lean Bulk High Dressing Low Dressing
Breaking 70-80 82.50-89.00 88.00-94.00 75.00-82.50
Boning 80-85 82.00-88.00 88.00-93.50 76.00-82.50
Lean 85-90 72.50-78.00 80.00-88.00 62.50-73.00
Slaughter Bulls: Yield Grade 1-2 1045-2475 lbs 96.00-102.00; high
dressing 102.00-112.00; low dressing 82.50-95.00.
Feeder/Stocker Cows: Medium and Large 1-2 1 1/2-3 yrs 770-1122 lbs
most 100.00-120.00, black indiv. 123.00; 3-7 yrs 855-1315 lbs 82.00-95.00.
Bred Cows: Medium and Large 1-2 4 yrs to short and solid mouth 2nd and
3rd stage 1100-1345 lbs 1185.00-1450.00, 1st stage 1110-1200 lbs 1115.00-
1325.00; broken mouth to aged 3rd stage 1125-1315 lbs 970.00-1175.00, black
indiv. 1300.00. Large 1-2 3-5 yrs 2nd and 3rd stage 1425-1635 lbs 1340.00-
1500.00; short and solid mouth to aged 3rd stage 1355-1435 lbs 1100.00-
1280.00. Medium and Large 2 4-6 yrs 2nd and 3rd stage 1080-1110 lbs 1100.00-
1125.00 per head.
Cow/Calf Pairs: Medium and Large 1-2 2 yrs to short and solid mouth
970-1160 lb cows w/145-325 lb calves and a few rebred 1400.00-1700.00,
several pkgs. 1 1/2 yr cows w/babies to 250 lb calves and several rebred
1600.00-1700.00 per pair.
Source: Missouri Dept of Ag-USDA Market News Service, Joplin, MO
Don Kleiboeker Market Reporter, 573-751-5618
24 Hour Market line number 1-573-522-9244
Joplin Cow & Bull Auction MO
- DHM Numbers: Pennsylvania, Missouri dairy cattle sales
- FairRent, now online, helps you find land rent values
- Wednesday's CME Dairy Market Recap
- Ag markets proved rather divergent Wednesday
- Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy® seeking next class of stewards
- Ten Do’s & Don’ts for ‘Low-Cost’ and ‘Retrofit’ Milking Parlors
- One Nebraska farmer takes ALS ice bucket challenge to extreme
- Organic/conventional quite indifferent in cow health, milk
- Iowa rancher is next star on 'The Bachelor'
- 72-stall robotic rotary breaks ground in Wisconsin
- Got Milk? Expands communications in unique agency partnership
- Cows, farms also under gunfire near Gaza strip