Columbia, SC Thu Jan 3, 2013 USDA-SC Dept Ag Market News
SC Farm Report on Thursday
***The livestock auctions are closed this week for the New Years Day Holiday. They
will be open next week as normal.
Hogs on Wednesday. Plant delivered weighted average. National direct Barrows &
Gilts US 1 50-54% lean 240-300 lbs 61.72, down 0.20. Sows live price 300-450 lbs
46.38; 450-500 lbs 54.82; 500-550 lbs 57.23.
SC Grain on Thursday. Corn was 1 cent lower, processor bids 7.10-7.84.
Soybeans were 2 to 8 cents lower, elevator bids 13.03-13.58, processor bid 13.78.
New crop Wheat was 3 to 5 cents lower, elevator bids 6.70-7.21.
Cotton on Thursday. Southeast base price for 41-4/34 was 72.89, up 0.03.
Fruits & Vegetables: Prices paid to SC growers at the Columbia State Farmers Market
on Thursday. Broccoli 20 lbs ctns Crown Cut 14.00; Cabbage 50 lb ctns Green type
12.00; Greens dz bchs Collards 16.00, Mustard/ Turnips/Rutabagas 18.00; Onions, Green
2 dz bnchs Med 9.00; Pecans per lb Stuarts 1.50-3.00, Cracked Stuarts 3.00, Shelled
8.00; Peppers, Bell 1 1/9 buctns Green XLge 14.00-16.00; Squash 1 1/9 buctns Butternut
18.00-20.00, Acorn 16.00, Spaghetti Med 20.00; Sweet Potatoes 40 lb ctns Orange Flesh
Varieties 16.00-18.00; Tomatoes 25 lb ctns Vine Ripe Turning Red Xlge & Larger 14.00-
15.00. OUT OF STATE PRODUCE: Apples buctns Red/Gold/ Rome 15.00-22.00, Mutzu/ Granny
Smith 22.00; Bananas 40 lbs ctns 14.00-16.00; Corn 4 dz crts Bi-color/ Yellow/White
19.00-20.00; Okra 1/2 buctns Sml-Med 22.00; Sweet Potatoes 40 lbs ctns Fair Quality
Small/Med 10.00-11.00; Grapefruit 4/5 buctns Red type 10.00-16.00; Oranges 4/5 Navel
64s 20.00-21.00; Tangerines 25 lb ctns Fallglo/ Sunburst 12.00-16.00.
For detailed reports go to www.ams.usda.gov/marketnews.htm or www.agriculture.sc.gov/
Or phone USDA-SCDA Market News at 803-737-4491 or 4497.
Source: South Carolina Dept of Ag-USDA Market News, Columbia, SC 803-737-4491.
www.ams.usda.gov/LSMarketNews or www.agriculture.sc.gov/
South Carolina Daily Farm Report
- Post-wean digestion impaired in intensive-fed rapidly weaned calf
- Massage and mooo-d music soothe Vietnam's Miss Milk Cow
- Meeting to showcase anaerobic digester for renewable energy
- Wednesday's CME Dairy Market Recap
- DHM Numbers: Dairy CPI mostly higher in September
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- VIDEO: Maddox family's "one cow" philosophy changed industry
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges
- 24 robots will soon be operating under one roof in New Zealand
- Wash. judge rules non-competes “unenforceable” for A.I. techs