Beef production, at 2.21 billion pounds, was 3 percent above the previous year. Cattle slaughter totaled 2.91 million head, up 7 percent from March 2009. The average live weight was down 32 pounds from the previous year, at 1,273 pounds.
Veal production totaled 12.2 million pounds, slightly below March a year ago. Calf slaughter totaled 79,800 head, up slightly from March 2009. The average live weight was down 4 pounds from last year, at 259 pounds.
Cattle Slaughter By U.S. & States (2009 vs. 2010)
- DHM Numbers: Dairy CPI mostly higher in September
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- November Class I base lower; Cold Storage report mixed
- Food Babe visits my university
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- ABI Elects New President and Officers at October Board Meeting
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- VIDEO: Maddox family's "one cow" philosophy changed industry
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges
- 24 robots will soon be operating under one roof in New Zealand
- Wash. judge rules non-competes “unenforceable” for A.I. techs