Beef production, at 2.21 billion pounds, was 3 percent above the previous year. Cattle slaughter totaled 2.91 million head, up 7 percent from March 2009. The average live weight was down 32 pounds from the previous year, at 1,273 pounds.
Veal production totaled 12.2 million pounds, slightly below March a year ago. Calf slaughter totaled 79,800 head, up slightly from March 2009. The average live weight was down 4 pounds from last year, at 259 pounds.
Cattle Slaughter By U.S. & States (2009 vs. 2010)
- One Nebraska farmer takes ALS ice bucket challenge to extreme
- Organic/conventional quite indifferent in cow health, milk
- Iowa rancher is next star on 'The Bachelor'
- 72-stall robotic rotary breaks ground in Wisconsin
- Got Milk? Expands communications in unique agency partnership
- Cows, farms also under gunfire near Gaza strip