Beef production, at 2.21 billion pounds, was 3 percent above the previous year. Cattle slaughter totaled 2.91 million head, up 7 percent from March 2009. The average live weight was down 32 pounds from the previous year, at 1,273 pounds.
Veal production totaled 12.2 million pounds, slightly below March a year ago. Calf slaughter totaled 79,800 head, up slightly from March 2009. The average live weight was down 4 pounds from last year, at 259 pounds.
Cattle Slaughter By U.S. & States (2009 vs. 2010)
- Ag markets posted mixed closes Tuesday afternoon
- Grants up to $5,000 available for CASE Certification & Equipment
- Rock River Laboratory introduces Wisconsin convenience routes
- Support dairy cow health by managing forage quality
- Ag markets firmed Tuesday morning
- Agriculture now generates $88.3 billion and 413,500 jobs in Wis.