LEAN HOGS on the CME closed down on Monday. The JUNE’11LH contract closed at $98.525/cwt; off $1.525/cwt and $2.750/cwt lower than a week ago. AUG’11LH futures closed at $99.475/cwt; down $0.775/cwt and $2.075/cwt lower than last report. Differing from cattle, short-term market-ready hog supplies are still tight. However, pressure on fresh pork sales is expected to slow at meat counters because retailers are seen as generally having what they need for the grilling season. Supporting features in the livestock pits in Chicago include traders seasonally buying June hogs and selling June cattle. That appeared to be the play on Monday as losses in hogs trailed fat cattle. This is the third consecutive decline in futures and may be a technical sign that prices will trend lower. Cash hogs traded flat to $1 higher with top hogs going from $64-$64.50/cwt; live basis. Buying will most likely back off quickly as processors have most of the hogs they need for the short week. USDA put the pork cutout at $94.98/cwt; up $0.27/cwt but $1.30/cwt lower than last report. According to HedgersEdge.com, the average packer margin was lowered $5.20/head to a negative $2.70/head based on the average buy of $69.53/cwt vs. the average breakeven of $68.53/cwt. The latest CME lean hog index was placed at $94.98; up $0.27 and $1.17 over last report.
Roberts Report: Storms delay planting in the Midwest
- U.S. readies for more 'extremely tough' trade talks with Japan
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Vilsack: Farm Bill, budget expand opportunity in rural America
- Crop markets set back from early-Friday highs
- Crop markets surged again Thursday night
- Accelerated Genetics sets Leadership Conference
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast
LEVUCELL® SC ADVANTAGE
Lallemand Animal Nutrition