Cash receipts from milk marketings in South Dakota in 2009 are down 24 percent from the previous year.
The Agricultural Statistics Service says receipts in 2009 totaled $259.9 million, down from the $341.5 million in 2008.
South Dakota producers received an average of $13.80 per hundredweight of milk sold in 2009. That's $5.30 per hundredweight lower than the average price received in 2008.
Total milk production in South Dakota increased 5 percent to 1.89 billion pounds in 2009, up from the 1.8 billion pounds produced in 2008.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
South Dakota Milk Marketing Receipts Down In 2009
- Alltech opens lab at Nestlé's China Dairy Farming Institute
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking