Sam Leadley with the Attica, N.Y., Veterinary Associates, looks at research confirming that when you limit milk replacer feeding to roughly 22 to 25 ounces per day (free-choice water and calf starter grain), calves will gain less than 1 pound a day (range was from about 0.8 to 0.9 pounds per day) in the period between birth and 6 weeks of age.
Calves with Sam: If you feed less, the calves gain less
- Friday's CME Dairy Market Recap
- DHM Numbers: Cold storage report bullish for butter
- Ag markets closed mostly higher again Friday
- Most ag markets traded firmly Friday morning
- Dairy Herd columnist Mess named social media farmer of the year
- Dairy markets: Class III futures up; butter nears all-time high