In installment #122 of the Purdue University Dairy Digest podcast series, Tamilee Nennich, Purdue Extension dairy specialist, focuses on drought strategies for dairy cattle.
Nennich says numerous strategies are available to help dairy producers manage through the drought, including:
- Sourcing forages from outside sources
- Purchasing drought-stressed corn for silage
- Using non-forage fiber sources in the ration
- Focusing on proper harvest and storage to reduce feed loss and waste
- Testing the nutrient profile of forages
- Culling cows and heifers
Listen to the podcast here.