Editor's Note: This Tip of the Week has been brought to you by the Dairy Calf & Heifer Association.
Dairy Beef Quality Assurance (DBQA) is a part of the checkoff-funded Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) program that helps dairy producers manage their operations in a way that will produce quality milk and beef that meet consumer expectations.
Through DBQA, producers recognize that every time an animal from their herd is marketed, they make the same commitment to food safety and quality as they do when they market their milk. When better quality animals leave the farm, everyone benefits. DBQA helps quality-conscious dairy producers meet the expectations of consumers while also increasing dairy profitability.
BQA and DBQA guiding principles are based on these core beliefs:
WE BELIEVE production practices affect consumer acceptance of beef.
- WE BELIEVE the BQA Program has and must continue to empower beef producers to improve the safety and wholesomeness of beef.
- WE BELIEVE these fundamental principles are the fabric of the BQA Program.
- Empowering people...because producers can make a difference.
- Taking responsibility...because it's our job, not someone else's.
- Working together...because product safety and wholesomeness is everyone's business.
When producers implement the best management practices of the quality assurance program, they ensure their animals are the best they can be. BQA is valuable to all beef and dairy producers because it:
- Demonstrates commitment to food safety and quality.
- Safeguards the public image of the dairy industry.
- Upholds consumer confidence in valuable beef products.
- Improves the sale value of marketed beef cattle.
- Enhances herd profitability through better management.