If considering adding a new technology or product, evaluate:
- How will this product/technology improve my business?
- How will this product/technology improve my quality of life or the quality of life of those I am responsible for? (Including animals and employees)
If evaluating whether or not to cut a technology or product already in use, consider:
- Why did I first start using this technology/product?
- Have things changed since the technology/product went in?
- Does the same need still exist to incorporate this technology/product?
- What is the return on investment of using this technology/product?
“Base decisions on the contribution to the bottom line and results from using the technology or product, not what the line item cost is,” says Baker. “The contributions are potentially the marginal dollars that can make the difference between profit and loss.”
Source: Purina Animal Nutrition LLC