Most dairy producers use the amount of crude protein in their feed as an indicator of whether their cattle are getting an adequate amount of protein. However, the William H. Miner Agricultural Research Institute advises farmers to pay attention to metabolizable protein too. Metabolizable protein is of actual use to the cow, and higher amounts of metabolizable protein can result in greater milk yield.
Knowing metabolizable protein content in feed may increase yield
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
- Employee Turnover Affecting Your Operation?