Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
In addition to the Calving Ease newsletter on cross-sucking (September, 2013 or click Here) data from a New Zealand study suggest another tool to use when trying to suppress this problem.[Margerison and Others, "The effect of solid feed diet on the oral and cross-sucking behavior of pre-weaned dairy calves." Journal of Dairy Science E-Suppl 1, #615] FULL STORY »
Post-wean digestion impaired in intensive-fed rapidly weaned calf
We have suspected from field observations that intensive-fed preweaned calves have problems digesting solid feeds in the early post-weaning period. FULL STORY »
Calves with Sam: Identify pneumonia calves earlier
It seems to be pretty well accepted that early identification and treatment of calves with pneumonia is a best management practice. FULL STORY »
Calves with Sam: Tuning our tools for measuring colostrum quality
Adopt a colostrum management protocol that includes measuring quality. FULL STORY »
HEALTH WATCH More
INDUSTRY CONNECTION More
MANAGER TO MANAGER More
MARKET MONITOR More
NUTRITION NOTES More
QUESTION OF THE MONTH More
- Poll: What is the primary method you use to help calves manage cold weather?
- Poll: If you raise wet calves, what is your weaning age?
- Poll: How would you classify your relationship with your herd veterinarian?
- Poll: Based on the crop conditions in your area, what do you think of current predictions for the size of the 2013 corn crop?
- Poll: What is your opinion of precision feeding weaned dairy heifers?
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
- Employee Turnover Affecting Your Operation?