Calves with Sam: Should I switch to 3X milk feeding?
My client asked this question having read a online posting. We talked about their current preweaned management. Colostrum is collected in the calving pen from dams as soon as they are up and steady on their feet. The dairy feeds 4 quarts of quality-tested colostrum in the first hour of life - 100% compliance. All calves are blood tested; a test value below 5.5 is unusual. FULL STORY »
Dairy calf care: Get a handle on dystocia data
Colorado State University professor of veterinary medicine Frank Garry suggests dairies can improve calf survival by monitoring and improving calving management. He recommends regularly recording and tracking. FULL STORY »
Timing and method is everything for dehorning and castration
When it comes to castration and dehorning procedures practiced by beef and dairy producers, timing is crucial to insure animal welfare and effectivness, says the new Cattle Castration and Dehorning Guidelines published by the American Association of Bovine Practitioners. FULL STORY »
Dairy calf care: When to assist, what to do
Dr. Harry Momont has trained veterinary students on calving practices for more than two decades at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine. FULL STORY »
HEALTH WATCH More
INDUSTRY CONNECTION More
MANAGER TO MANAGER More
MARKET MONITOR More
NUTRITION NOTES More
QUESTION OF THE MONTH More
- Poll: What is the primary method you use to help calves manage cold weather?
- Poll: If you raise wet calves, what is your weaning age?
- Poll: How would you classify your relationship with your herd veterinarian?
- Poll: Based on the crop conditions in your area, what do you think of current predictions for the size of the 2013 corn crop?
- Poll: What is your opinion of precision feeding weaned dairy heifers?