Maximize your colostrum feeding program
The newborn calf's immune system is underdeveloped, so it depends on colostrum to supply critical "passive immunity" to ward off illness and infection, plus other colostral factors necessary to enhance calf health, growth and performance. FULL STORY »
Novel method makes FMD vaccine production safer
Foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) vaccines can be produced safely using a new patent-pending technology developed by U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientists. FULL STORY »
How to reduce newborn calf mortality on dairy farms
High dairy calf mortality can have a significant economic impact on a dairy farm’s profitability. Penn State’s Extension Dairy Team and Extension Veterinary Team will provide two hands-on training opportunities combining scientific knowledge with practical management techniques that will result in more effective calf management on farms. FULL STORY »
Feeding calves: It takes more than just milk
When thinking of calves and what it takes to grow them properly the main component of their diet is milk or milk replacer. However, it’s important to think about the other components of their diets as well. FULL STORY »
Are spotlessly clean stalls really the goal?
A few manure piles at the rear of the stalls doesn’t necessarily mean a poorly managed stall, but rather a well-used stall, which is a good thing. Rather than just look at how clean the stalls are, watch and evaluate how the cows use the stalls. In the end a clean, well-used stall is the real goal. FULL STORY »
Vaccinating cows for reproductive diseases begins with the heifer
The best time to vaccinate cows for reproductive diseases is before breeding but finding the window of opportunity after calving and before breeding can be challenging. The key starts with a sound heifer vaccination program. FULL STORY »
See the Innovation Award winners up close
Dairy Herd Management’s Innovation Awards, honoring the top dairy industry innovations in 2013, were announced during World Dairy Expo in Madison, Wis. on Oct. 1. Here’s a complete list of winners, including the first-ever “People’s Choice” award winner. FULL STORY »
Poll: How would you classify your relationship with your herd veterinarian?
1. Our veterinarian is an integral member of our management team.
2. Our veterinarian has some influence on the way we manage our herd.
3. Our veterinarian has little influence on the way we manage our herd.
4. We do not use the services of a veterinarian.
FULL STORY »
- The other crops couldn't duplicate Thursday night soy gains
- Minn.’s Peterson aims to hang onto House Ag Committee role, seat
- Baise: EPA's new water definition would devastate business
- DHM Numbers: Cow culling; replacement prices
- Thursday’s CME Dairy Market Recap
- Cattle futures bucked the bearish ag market trend Thursday