Vaccinating cows for reproductive diseases begins with the heifer
The best time to vaccinate cows for reproductive diseases is before breeding but finding the window of opportunity after calving and before breeding can be challenging. The key starts with a sound heifer vaccination program. FULL STORY »
See the Innovation Award winners up close
Dairy Herd Management’s Innovation Awards, honoring the top dairy industry innovations in 2013, were announced during World Dairy Expo in Madison, Wis. on Oct. 1. Here’s a complete list of winners, including the first-ever “People’s Choice” award winner. FULL STORY »
Poll: How would you classify your relationship with your herd veterinarian?
1. Our veterinarian is an integral member of our management team.
2. Our veterinarian has some influence on the way we manage our herd.
3. Our veterinarian has little influence on the way we manage our herd.
4. We do not use the services of a veterinarian.
FULL STORY »
Calf barn positive pressure ventilation seminar
The Dairyland Initiative in Wisconsin will be presenting a seminar on using positive pressure ventilation tubes in calf barns on November 7 in Madison, Wis. FULL STORY »
Can calves be taught to urinate in a specific place?
Is it possible for calves to be trained like cats to urinate in a specific location? A team of Canadian researchers conducted a study to find out. FULL STORY »
AI success with timed breeding versus detected heat
Researchers in Alberta compared the outcome of using sexed semen in heifers inseminated upon detected heat, versus those enrolled in a timed AI program. FULL STORY »
On-farm colostrum measurement tools evaluated
A study at the University of Calgary evaluated the accuracy of both the colostrometer and the Brix refractometer for measuring colostrum quality on the farm. FULL STORY »
Signs of Mycoplasma bovis infection in dairy cattle
It’s a scourge you don’t want showing up on your farm. But if it does, the Dairy Calf and Heifer Association offers tips for identifying and preventing Mycoplasma bovis infections. FULL STORY »
- The new line on your milk check — spore counts
- Cropp: October dairy situation and outlook
- 2014 Dairy Herd Management Innovation Awards announced
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- 24 robots will soon be operating under one roof in New Zealand
- Chobani's search for non-GMO fed herds could require 225,000 cows