Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
Artificial insemination has been around for more than 75 years. Gary Hennip with Penn State Dairy Extension suggests that new technologies may soon be replacing A.I. as the primary means of dairy genetic advancement. FULL STORY »
Springers mostly steady, calves up
Springing heifer prices continue to see stability or healthy growth in three of the four reporting markets this month. Prices softened slightly in Pennsylvania alone. California remained steady while Wisconsin and Texas saw higher prices compared to last month. Nationwide, springer prices as a whole are up about 30% compared to year-ago levels. Holstein heifer calf prices increased nationwide, likely due in part to the seasonal demand for youth project calves. FULL STORY »
More thoughts on the calving pen
Heather Dann with the W.H. Miner Agricultural Research Institute, Chazy, N.Y., discusses research-based methods for making maternity pens more comfortable and cow-friendly. FULL STORY »
DCHA Annual Conference
There’s still time to register for the Dairy Calf and Heifer Association’s Annual Conference, April 1-3 in Green Bay, Wis. Plus you are eligible for a special discount as a Calf and Heifer Advisor subscriber. FULL STORY »
Ryelage can help stretch feed supplies
Fall-planted rye is a popular cover crop, but Eric Richer, Extension Educator with Ohio State University, notes that it can have useful feed value as well. FULL STORY »
- Accelerated Genetics sets Leadership Conference
- Yogurt nominated as New York’s ‘state snack’
- 6 of California’s Top 10 counties saw 2013 milk output declines
- USDA amends Appalachian, Southeast and Florida federal orders
- Legislation would block EPA from releasing producer information
- USDA: Livestock producers urged to keep good disaster records
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast
Excelerate® Calf Milk Replacer
Milk Specialties Global