Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
Artificial insemination has been around for more than 75 years. Gary Hennip with Penn State Dairy Extension suggests that new technologies may soon be replacing A.I. as the primary means of dairy genetic advancement. FULL STORY »
More thoughts on the calving pen
Heather Dann with the W.H. Miner Agricultural Research Institute, Chazy, N.Y., discusses research-based methods for making maternity pens more comfortable and cow-friendly. FULL STORY »
How do I motivate frozen employees?
“The winter that won’t end” has been hard on animals and their caretakers alike. Bob Hagenow with Vita Plus Corp. offers advice on how to encourage employees as they work in challenging weather conditions. FULL STORY »
Timed A.I. in heifers
Dairy heifers have important ovarian and endocrine differences during the estrous cycle compared to lactating cows, according to University of Florida researchers Fabio Lima and Jose Santos. FULL STORY »
Grober introduces feeding rail for automated feeding
Grober Nutrition, in cooperation with Förster-Technik, has unveiled a feeding rail that makes auto-feeding possible for calves in individual stalls. FULL STORY »
Prevent heifer handling stress and injuries
Heifers are unique in their handling behavior, interaction with humans and response to stress. University of Wisconsin Dairy Extension Agent Aerica Bjurstrom offers insights into improving heifer handling. FULL STORY »
Dairy farm employee management: new employee orientation
Whether or not a new employee becomes a long-term asset to your operation rests partly in your hands. Helpful advice on new employee orientation comes from Melissa O’Rourke, Extension Dairy Specialist with Iowa State University. FULL STORY »
Contract essentials for raising dairy heifers
Does using a contract grower fit your business needs? Are you a contract grower yourself, or thinking about becoming one? If so, Tamilee Nennich, associate professor and Extension dairy specialist at Purdue University, shares advice on contracts. FULL STORY »
Penn State releases new mobile app: CropCents
The Penn State Extension Dairy Team announces the release of their third mobile app: CropCents. This new app calculates the cost of all home-raised feeds by including direct and indirect costs. FULL STORY »
- U.S. readies for more 'extremely tough' trade talks with Japan
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Vilsack: Farm Bill, budget expand opportunity in rural America
- Crop markets set back from early-Friday highs
- Crop markets surged again Thursday night
- Accelerated Genetics sets Leadership Conference
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast