Advice on managing curtain sidewalls
Managing curtains on calf barns can become tricky in spring and fall when the air is often cool and damp with intermittent periods of warm weather. Here are some helpful ideas for managing calf barn curtains. FULL STORY »
What housing types suit your needs?
The integration of housing type and style with milking and animal handling is critical in developing an efficient dairy system plan. Learn more during an upcoming webinar from Penn State Extension. FULL STORY »
Keep a clear head when feed prices soar
A common trap when margins are getting squeezed is improper cost-control strategies. A simple goal of focusing on what pays the bills is a great starting point when evaluating cost-cutting opportunities. FULL STORY »
Has your decision-making process become reactive?
It's the decisions made during times of uncertainty that can have the biggest financial impact on an operation's bottom line. Use these tips to evaluate how you’re making decisions when it comes to adding or cutting a technology or product. FULL STORY »
Is poor hygiene undermining conception rates?
Semen handling, insemination technique, and the environment in which you work can all play a role in reducing pregnancy rates. Use this assessment to identify weaknesses in hygiene during breeding. FULL STORY »
Change needles for good BQA
Ben Schroeder, DVM, Cedar County Veterinary Services, Hartington, Neb., explains why he supplies his producers with a full box of needles instead of just what they might need, in order to help them maintain BQA principles when vaccinating cattle. FULL STORY »
On-farm pregnancy diagnosis options
An appropriate method for pregnancy diagnosis depends on the objectives of the reproductive program and considerations that are unique to each individual farm. FULL STORY »
Bands and tags eliminate errors
See how the calf crew at this Wisconsin dairy works as a team, cares for calves and communicates with one another – on opposite shifts, without saying a word. FULL STORY »
Find future supervisors
In this second feature of a two-part series, learn how dairy management expert Tom Fuhrmann advises identifying dairy employees who would make good candidates for supervisory roles. FULL STORY »
Easing the move to transition barns
Transitioning to group housing after weaning is a stressful time for calves. Vita Plus calf management specialist Ann Hoskins provides tips for making the process smoother. FULL STORY »
- U.S. readies for more 'extremely tough' trade talks with Japan
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Vilsack: Farm Bill, budget expand opportunity in rural America
- Crop markets set back from early-Friday highs
- Crop markets surged again Thursday night
- Accelerated Genetics sets Leadership Conference
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast