Baby it’s getting hot outside!
Don’t forget to monitor calf health and growth this summer. As temperatures start to climb and cause you to perspire – don’t forget that calves are also feeling the heat. FULL STORY »
What is the cost of homegrown forages?
Dairy farm managers should periodically review their feed-procurement strategies.
Ask yourself: What feeds should be grown? Which feeds should be purchased? Which of these activities will provide the greatest return? FULL STORY »
Breeding heifers by size can impact profit potential
Over the last 10 years there has been more emphasis on growing heifer calves faster and better in order to maximize performance and health of the animal over its lifetime. However, these bigger heifers are not being bred early enough in many situations to take full advantage of the more aggressive calf growth. FULL STORY »
New technologies, outreach boost dairy cattle fertility
Increasing the reproductive efficiency of dairy cattle by getting the highest possible number of cows pregnant in the same period of time has always been a challenge for the industry. FULL STORY »
Study looks at calf hutch conditions in summertime
University of Florida researchers compared the performance and health of calves raised in polyethylene hutches with ridge top vents and rear adjustable doors to those raised in housing built of open wire during peak summer temperatures in Florida. FULL STORY »
- Vilsack: Farm Bill, budget expand opportunity in rural America
- Crop markets set back from early-Friday highs
- Crop markets surged again Thursday night
- Accelerated Genetics sets Leadership Conference
- Yogurt nominated as New York’s ‘state snack’
- 6 of California’s Top 10 counties saw 2013 milk output declines
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast