Colostrum supplements and replacers: What is the difference?
Research indicates that passive immunity is often inadequate due to low concentration of colostral immunoglobulins, insufficient methods of feeding colostrum, and low absorption of immunoglobulins by the calf. FULL STORY »
Improve the weaning transition period
Weaning is a critical transition period for young dairy calves. Creating nutritionally and socially stable plans for calves as they transition through the weaning period is essential. FULL STORY »
Tip of the Week looks at hypothermia
Spring may be here, at least by the calendar, but cold temperatures are still a threat to newborn calves. The Dairy Calf & Heifer Association has compiled some advice for detecting and dealing with hypothermia in newborn calves. FULL STORY »
Factors that affect calf standing time
Rest is an important factor in calf health and growth, and research has shown that standing requires more energy than lying, plus can cause calves to exert more energy to maintain body temperature in cold conditions. FULL STORY »
Heifer fertility factors
Breeding-age heifers should be the most fertile animals on the farm, but that is not always the case. Katie Ballard, researcher at the W.H. Miner Agricultural Research Institute in New York, explores the possible reasons why. FULL STORY »
Tools for Teams workshop coming up in Pa.
Penn State’s Extension Dairy Team is offering a “Tools for Teams” workshop on March 20. The workshop will highlight the use of various whole farm and data tracking tools to help teams improve success. FULL STORY »
It's still winter
This winter has thrown many weather challenges your way. Warmer temperatures may be on the way, but you must still stay the course with winter calf-care protocols for awhile. FULL STORY »
- Another strike against California’s $68B bullet train?
- What caused major change in rail shipments for grain?
- Late soy strength did little to boost the other ag markets Friday
- Calves with Sam: Goals for bacteria in pasteurized milk
- Vilsack: Supporting innovation for stronger rural communities
- More farmers to see start of time-of-use rates
- Undercover dairy video leads to animal abuse allegations
- Research shows consumer demand for transparency on food
- Raw milk report just ‘tip of the iceberg’
- Stopgap farm bill passes House, extends current law to January
- Ag producers should do income tax planning before year-end
- Greenhouse gas: Another reason to connect with consumers