Factors that affect calf standing time
Rest is an important factor in calf health and growth, and research has shown that standing requires more energy than lying, plus can cause calves to exert more energy to maintain body temperature in cold conditions. FULL STORY »
Heifer fertility factors
Breeding-age heifers should be the most fertile animals on the farm, but that is not always the case. Katie Ballard, researcher at the W.H. Miner Agricultural Research Institute in New York, explores the possible reasons why. FULL STORY »
Tools for Teams workshop coming up in Pa.
Penn State’s Extension Dairy Team is offering a “Tools for Teams” workshop on March 20. The workshop will highlight the use of various whole farm and data tracking tools to help teams improve success. FULL STORY »
It's still winter
This winter has thrown many weather challenges your way. Warmer temperatures may be on the way, but you must still stay the course with winter calf-care protocols for awhile. FULL STORY »
Are you taking care of your calf team?
Calves are your top priority, but you need to take care of your people, too. What can you do to boost their safety and efficiency and provide a comfortable working environment? FULL STORY »
When it comes to calves get back to the basics
When calves get sick, producers tend to focus on the technical issues, but often times, it can be everyday details that lead to calf health challenges. Here are some insights into areas that can be overlooked. FULL STORY »
- U.S. readies for more 'extremely tough' trade talks with Japan
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Vilsack: Farm Bill, budget expand opportunity in rural America
- Crop markets set back from early-Friday highs
- Crop markets surged again Thursday night
- Accelerated Genetics sets Leadership Conference
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast