Management and nutrition of calves is an important investment in the future productivity of a dairy herd. Automated feeders can be a useful tool in a successful calf-raising program, allowing calves to grow to their full potential while taking advantage of the benefits of group housing, say Miriam Weber Nielsen and Mike VandeHaar, Michigan State University. However, excellent calf management is required to benefit from the use of group feeding and housing.
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
- Employee Turnover Affecting Your Operation?