Management and nutrition of calves is an important investment in the future productivity of a dairy herd. Automated feeders can be a useful tool in a successful calf-raising program, allowing calves to grow to their full potential while taking advantage of the benefits of group housing, say Miriam Weber Nielsen and Mike VandeHaar, Michigan State University. However, excellent calf management is required to benefit from the use of group feeding and housing.
- Making recommendations on climate change mitigation
- Vermont Senate passes GMO labeling bill
- Is chocolate milk ban-worthy? Study says ‘no’
- To prevent crime, farmers, deputies use proven tools
- Can ration sorting benefit lactating dairy cattle?
- CME trading outage showed that man can still match the machine