How much milk will calves drink?
If left to their own devices, calves will consume a whole lot of milk or milk replacer. Just how much? New York calf and heifer specialist Dr. Sam Leadley investigates. FULL STORY »
Calves need water as much as other nutrients
Without adequate, free-choice water, calves are at risk of altered metabolic function, decreased starter intake and lower weight gain. The Ontario Veal Association provides details and guidelines on the importance of water in calf diets. FULL STORY »
Aflatoxin sampling instructions
Aflatoxin is definitely on the radar screen this year. Be aware of potential aflatoxin sources and monitor contamination levels through proper sampling and feed management. FULL STORY »
Mycotoxin contamination: Effects on dairy production
Solutions to mycotoxin issues will be the topic of a South Dakota State University Extension seminar on Nov. 7. FULL STORY »
Snaplage in the dairy ration
Feeding snaplage/earlage has advantages and disadvantages. Producers must carefully evaluate their feeding situations and decide if snaplage is a good fit for their operation. FULL STORY »
Advice on feeding corn stalks to dry cows and heifers
General recommendations are to feed corn stalks to dry cows and heifers up to 33 percent of the forage content of the diet. FULL STORY »
Be aware of aflatoxin in corn grain, silage
Heat and drought over the summer months created an ideal environment for Aspergillus ear rot to form in corn grain and silage. The disease is caused by a fungus that may produce aflatoxin, which can be harmful to livestock. FULL STORY »
- Why only one of four dairy calves drinks raw milk?
- USDA: FAQs about potential California FMMO
- U.S. readies for more 'extremely tough' trade talks with Japan
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Vilsack: Farm Bill, budget expand opportunity in rural America
- Crop markets set back from early-Friday highs
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast