Proper feed management is essential to good health, good production and good profitability on dairy farms. To help producers examine current topics related to the precision feeding of dairy cattle, the Penn State Extension Dairy Team will hold a one-day conference on May 9 at the Farm and Home Center, 1383 Arcadia Road, Lancaster, from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
The program is designed for producers, nutritionists and certified feed management plan writers, all of whom can benefit from advanced and current information in feed management.
- Gabriella A. Varga, Ph. D., distinguished professor of animal science at Penn State, whose research focuses on the impact of forage sources on nitrogen balance, ammonia emission from manure, dry matter intake, nitrogen efficiency, and milk production in lactating dairy cows.
- Larry Chase, Ph.D., professor of dairy cattle nutrition and extension specialist in the Animal Science Department at Cornell University, whose current research program has three primary components: relationships between nutrition, herd management and milk components; examining the efficiency of nitrogen use in dairy cattle; and evaluating the impact of fiber digestibility in corn silage on dry matter intake and milk production in dairy cows.
- Jamie Jarrett, Ph.D., dairy marketing nutritionist, Land O’Lakes Purine Dairy Feed Team, whose research in dairy cattle nutrition focused on improving estimations of phosphorus bio-availability in lactating dairy cows.
- Dan Ludwig, grazing specialist with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) who works with livestock producers who wish to better utilize their pastures through grazing management.
- Rebecca White, dairy program manager with the Penn State Extension Dairy Team since 2010, working in the areas of dairy profitability and nutrient management, conducting educational and hands-on workshops for dairy operators and agribusiness professionals.
Registration fee for the conference is $30 per person and may be done online at http://extension.psu.edu/animals/dairy/events/advanced-topics-in-feed-management-conference. A form can be downloaded from the site and mailed to Penn State Extension Dairy Team, 324 Henning Bldg., University Park, PA 16802 along with a personal check. A full agenda for the day is also available at the website.
Registration deadline is May 1, 2013.
For more information, call toll-free 888-373-7232.