Q. Our fresh cows are getting ketosis 10 days after freshening. Also lack of appetite. At the time of freshening cows are given a tube of calcium and ketogel. Upon finding they have ketosis we drench them with PG/200cc once daily for 4 days.
A. The key is to get or keep these cows eating. Low intake leads to ketosis. Anyway to simulate feed intake will be a plus (added flake of 180 relative feed value forage), top dress 2 or 3 pounds of roasted soybeans, adding liquid molasses to enhance palability, add yeast culture, feed 2 or 3 pounds of sticky calf starter, or any other tricks of the trade.
Source: Mike Hutjens, Extension Dairy Specialist, University of IL
DairyNet Ask An Expert: Fresh Cows & Ketosis
- Collect Colostrum Sooner rather than Later
- Thursday’s CME Dairy Market Recap
- DHM Numbers: Cow culling slips 12% behind last year
- SCR partners with Nestlé to establish Chinese dairy institute
- Hogs were the exception to the bullish rule Thursday
- Export data, equity gains boost crop futures Thursday morning
- Food Babe visits my university
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- VIDEO: Maddox family's "one cow" philosophy changed industry
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- 24 robots will soon be operating under one roof in New Zealand
- Wash. judge rules non-competes “unenforceable” for A.I. techs