Poor economic health around the world is another factor that could drive down demand, Karlin said, noting Europe's ongoing recession, China's slowest economic growth in 15 years and the limping U.S. economy.
But he also warned that while demand for corn may continue to be relatively lackluster, prices can only drop so low, because stocks remain very tight. Based on historic trends, Karlin said when corn begins selling at around $7 a bushel, "buyers usually come out of the woods and start purchasing." He said prices may continue to stay between $7 and $8 a bushel until early spring, when the market has a better sense of the size of the South American corn crop and how much corn U.S. farmers intend to plant next year.
Bill Mattos, president of the California Poultry Federation, said while Zacky Farms' bankruptcy is an unfortunate outcome of escalating feed costs, he does not "foresee any other (poultry) companies having an issue right away."
About 80 percent of the state's poultry ranches are owned by companies such as Zacky Farms and Foster Farms. The other 20 percent are contract growers who raise birds for the poultry companies, which provide the feed. Contract growers are paid on their production efficiency but are generally not affected by feed costs, he said.
"The ones who are affected right away are the major companies that have to stay in business and make a product," Mattos said, adding that as far as he knows, those companies have not cut back on contracts.
Since about 70 percent of the cost of raising a chicken or a turkey is feed—most of which consists of corn—Mattos said the Midwestern drought and the resulting price spikes for corn "put everything into havoc." To help pay for some of the increased feed costs, poultry companies have had to ask supermarkets and retailers that sell California-grown products to allow them to raise prices, he said, noting that in the past year, most chicken and turkey prices have gone up about 15 percent.
But not all livestock sectors are able to raise prices and pass along the increased production costs, said Doug Dickson, commodities director for Harris Ranch who oversees grain purchases for the company's feedlot. He pointed out that while companies such as Foster Farms may be able to raise prices on its finished products, it's much harder to do for feeding operations such as Harris Ranch, because beef prices are established by market trade.
"You can raise prices," he said, "but you won't sell enough to get your revenue high enough to cover your expenses, because you may end up selling less (product). That's the dilemma that the ag producer has."