Challenged by high somatic cell counts?
Use these steps from the experts at the University of Minnesota to help solve the problem:
- Define the problem. Use Dairy Herd Improvement or your herd records to identify which cows are infected by mastitis and when those infections occur.
- Identify the troublemakers. Determine which pathogens are causing the problem.
- Generate solutions. Once you’ve completed steps 1 and 2, meet with your diagnostics team to develop solutions.
- Develop an action plan. Set up how the preferred strategies will be implemented, who will actually do the work and what training needs to be completed.
- Monitor progress. Use several tools to monitor your progress.
- Carry out the plan. Implement your strategy.
- Review and adjust. Monitor monthly progress and tweak your plans as needed.
Source: University of Minnesota