Don’t overlook your water
Dairy producers spend a great deal of time, effort and money ensuring that dairy cow rations are fine-tuned to the “nth” degree. A few milligrams of this, a few parts per million of that, all to ensure that no stone goes unturned in the quest for the perfect ration. Unfortunately, in the process the most important nutrient of all often goes barely noticed and only lightly considered. What nutrient? Water. FULL STORY »
Factors affecting feed conversion and nitrogen utilization efficiency in dairy herds
An on-farm survey was carried out on 40 commercial dairy farms in Merced County, California to study the effects of feed and feeding management variables on feed conversion and nitrogen utilization efficiency. FULL STORY »
Exactly, what makes chromium so special?
Supplementation with chromium propionate can increase milk production in dairy cows, numerous studies have shown. So, what exactly is the mode of action? Jerry Spears, dairy scientist at North Carolina State University, explained this recently at the Cornell Nutrition Conference in East Syracuse, N.Y. FULL STORY »
How much zinc is needed in the dry period?
Required dietary zinc concentrations for dry and prefresh cows were reduced from 40 parts per million (ppm) by the NRC in 1989 to 22 to 30 ppm in 2001, depending upon age and dry matter intake. FULL STORY »
Mycotoxin sequestering agents could impact mineral nutrition
Check out this information on mycotoxins and mycotoxin sequestering agents. FULL STORY »
Estimations of water use for California dairy cows
Economic and regulatory constraints make it important to know the volume of water consumed and the mineral content of the water. FULL STORY »
Minerals: small amounts, major impact
Minerals comprise a small percentage of the diet, but can have huge consequences if supplements are removed or are supplied at inadequate levels in the ration. FULL STORY »
- Crop marekts set back from early-Friday highs
- Crop markets surged again Thursday night
- Accelerated Genetics sets Leadership Conference
- Yogurt nominated as New York’s ‘state snack’
- 6 of California’s Top 10 counties saw 2013 milk output declines
- USDA amends Appalachian, Southeast and Florida federal orders
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast
AfiMilk MPC – Ultimate Milking Control solution