A look at copper toxicity in heifers

 Resize text         Printer-friendly version of this article Printer-friendly version of this article

Copper is a trace element essential to all cells in the body, but it can become toxic at levels that exceed dietary needs.

Growing Holsteins may be more susceptible to chronic copper toxicity than previously thought. It also is quite possible that toxicity occurs at dietary levels lower than those that induce toxicity in mature Holsteins.

The most recent Dairy NRC lowered the maximum tolerable ration copper level from 100 ppm dry weight down to 40 ppm dry weight based on reports of toxicity.

Read more in-depth information on this subject in this article from the February issue of Bovine Veterinarian, a sister publication of Dairy Herd Management.



Comments (0) Leave a comment 

Name
e-Mail (required)
Location

Comment:

characters left


Grand L60 Series

Kubota’s Grand L60 Series combines a higher level of luxury with outstanding productivity never before seen in this class of ... Read More

View all Products in this segment

View All Buyers Guides

)
Feedback Form
Leads to Insight