On-farm pregnancy diagnosis options
An appropriate method for pregnancy diagnosis depends on the objectives of the reproductive program and considerations that are unique to each individual farm. FULL STORY »
Reduce sick cows through breeding
Traditionally, the dairy industry has focused on proper nutrition and management practices to prevent disease. Another method that is gaining popularity is the use of genetics to select for healthier cows with naturally superior immune responses. FULL STORY »
Good genetic merit for fertility matters
Research results published in the July Journal of Dairy Science demonstrate, for the first time, that genetic merit for fertility has pronounced effects on key reproductive parameters. FULL STORY »
Focus on heifer size to determine age at breeding
Dairy producers continue to focus on calving heifers at an earlier age, but to achieve that goal producers must manage heifers to reach breeding size sooner. FULL STORY »
Is it time to do away with the herd bull?
If you have a herd bull, a clean-up bull, a bull for the heifers, please consider the alternatives available today, urges a Penn State extension educator. FULL STORY »
Teamwork is essential for reproductive success
A successful dairy reproductive program is built on many factors, with the end result being greater than the sum of all its parts. But nothing can impede success faster than when resources do not function collaboratively. FULL STORY »
Crossbreeding concept within the Holstein breed?
The key to achieving the maximum opportunity of genetic enhancement within the same breed is the careful, thoughtful and persistent identification and segregation of genetically similar individuals. FULL STORY »
How much is your pregnancy rate costing you?
This topic takes forefront in September during the next Penn State Extension “Show Me the Money” conference call series, which is free for anyone in the dairy industry. FULL STORY »
- Crop futures mostly higher, livestock prices stabilizing
- Dairy markets: Today's milk already sold
- Crop futures diverged from livestock markets Wednesday night
- AGCO releases Challenger MT500E series tractors with 185-255 hp
- Wednesday's CME Dairy Market Recap
- DHM Numbers: September Class I base slightly lower
- 72-stall robotic rotary breaks ground in Wisconsin
- Commentary: The worst meat to eat
- 2015 milk prices now looking more like 2013, 2011
- Minn. farm wins court case, power companies to buy 138 acres
- Drones on the farm: What are the laws?
- Jersey Island chooses direction 6 years after 250-year import ban