Does genomic selection intensify inbreeding or help control it?
Inbreeding management can be easier with a program approach that utilizes genomic insights. FULL STORY »
Improving reproductive efficiency adds value
Improving 21-day pregnancy rates from 13 percent to 22 percent could result in a value of $188 per cow per year, or $37,600 for a 200-cow dairy herd, according to a University of Wisconsin dairy scientist. FULL STORY »
YouTube videos highlight dairy research
The Faculty of Land and Food Systems at the University of British Columbia has launched four news videos featuring the Dairy Education and Research Centre. FULL STORY »
Breeding heifers by size can impact profit potential
Over the last 10 years there has been more emphasis on growing heifer calves faster and better in order to maximize performance and health of the animal over its lifetime. However, these bigger heifers are not being bred early enough in many situations to take full advantage of the more aggressive calf growth. FULL STORY »
- Livestock futures were outdoing the crop markets Monday morning
- Increased global grain production means lower prices for growers
- After WTO, expectations grow for Trans-Pacific trade deal
- Ag markets are beginning this week firmly
- Problem solving and decision making on the farm
- Will Santa bring a farm bill this Christmas?