East: A strong cold front pushed through the region bringing cold temperatures and rain. Conditions remained extremely wet. Ponds, lakes and streams were full. Highs were in the 30s, and lows in the 20s, with several days of heavy frost. Many counties reported standing water in pastures, a good indication soils were saturated. Cool-season forage growth jumped with the low temperatures, but producers were waiting for drier conditions before turning cattle onto pastures. The rain and cold prompted many producers to start feeding hay and supplements. Livestock were in good to excellent condition. Cotton was 95 percent harvested, but the wet conditions may have contributed to the loss of the remaining 5 percent. The pecan harvest was ongoing. Feral hog activity reports increased.
Far West: Earlier in the week weather was warm, with highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 30s. Part of the region was without electricity for about three days because of an ice storm, which also caused most perennial grasses to go into dormancy. Approximately 90 percent of mesquite was completely defoliated or in some stage of defoliation. Cotton harvesting was nearly finished in most of the region. Sorghum took a bad hit from the freeze and ice storm, and there was little to no harvesting of the crop being done. Winter wheat benefited from early November rains and most fields were not affected by the freeze.
North: Soil-moisture levels across the region remained adequate. Temperature highs and lows were sporadic, going from freezing to back in the upper 60s and low 70s. Winter wheat was doing fairly well across the region, with 100 percent planted and about 50 percent emerged. The cotton harvest was finished, with Delta County reporting good yields. Winter pastures emerged and were benefiting from sunshine and warmer temperatures later in the week. Cattle were in good condition. Some livestock producers were feeding hay as winter pastures weren’t ready for grazing yet.
Panhandle: Temperatures were average for the week, and soil-moisture levels were mostly very short to short. The cotton harvest was delayed in other counties due to earlier snowfall. Already planted wheat was in very poor to good condition, with most counties reporting fair. Winter wheat under irrigation was ready for grazing by stocker cattle in some areas. Winter wheat planting was ongoing, with producers going back to plant in on harvested corn and grain sorghum fields. Rangeland and pastures were mostly in very poor to poor condition with few isolated areas reporting fair. With the cold weather, producers continued feeding hay and supplements to livestock. Deaf Smith county producers had finished the harvest of all corn and sunflowers, and were nearly finished with grain sorghum.