The Dairy Calf and Heifer Association has a full agenda of informative speakers and social networking opportunities planned for its annual conference, scheduled for March 31-April 1 in Middleton, Wis.
In addition to an industry-encompassing trade show and live farm tours, the schedule includes the following presentations:
· Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Lab and University of Wisconsin-School of Veterinary Medicine Tour and Lab Demonstrations (open to producer and veterinarian members only; on a first-come, first-served basis) | Topics Include: Calf Respiratory Scoring, Thoracic Ultrasound and Pharyngeal Swabbing
· Professional Calf Raising Through the Eyes of a Special Operations Soldier; Dr. Sam Barringer, Merck Animal Health
· Seeing the Big Picture; Do You Have the Vision?; Dr. Tom Fuhrmann, DairyWorks Management System
· Learnings of a Calf Manager; Ermith Ocampo, Calf Source, LLC
· Feeding Dairy Steers for Profitable Weight Gain; Frank Wardynski, Michigan State University Extension
· Risk Management: What Exactly Does that Mean in the Calf and Heifer Segment?; Dr. Greg Bethard, Pagel's Ponderosa Dairy, Dairy Dreams & Rons Cheese
· Animal Welfare: Contributing to a Positive Image; Chase DeCoite, National Cattlemen's Beef Association
· Market Perspective: Where is Dairy Beef Headed?; John Nalivka, Sterling Marketing, Inc.
· Financial Planning: One of the Most Critical Steps to Success; Gary Sipiorski, Vita Plus; David Rinneard, BMO Harris; Jason Karszes, Cornell University; Claus Haaren, Brooksco Farms
· Facilities Designed for Calf Health; Dr. Ken Nordlund
· Managing Your Team – Up, Down & All Around; Tom Wall, Dairy Interactive, LLC and Language Links, LLC
· New Technologies – Applied in the Real World; Brandon Andersen, Genomic Testing; Seimers Holsteins, Activity Monitoring
· Across the Country: Calf Manager & Owner Perspectives; Tracy Loos, Rosy-Lane Holsteins, Watertown, WI; Brian Fiscalini, Fiscalini Farms & Cheese Co., Modesto, CA; Aaron Harpster, Evergreen Farms, Spruce Creek, PA
· Changing Perception on a Reality Show; Brad Scott, Scott Brothers Dairy Farm
To register for the conference, follow this link.