Keto-Test appropriate under a range of temperatures
The Keto-Test is an important tool for diagnosing ketosis in dairy cows. FULL STORY »
Heat-stressed cows spend more time standing
A new study by researchers at the University of Arizona and Northwest Missouri State University shows that standing and lying behavior can predict heat stress in cows. FULL STORY »
Feeding canola meal to dairy cows
The objective of this meta-analysis was to determine the effects of the substitution of a protein source by canola meal (CM) on lactational responses (CM minus control) in dairy cows. FULL STORY »
Effect of temperature on performance of milk ketone test strips
Ketosis is estimated to affect 15 percent of early lactation dairy cows. FULL STORY »
Make sure iron levels in water don’t get up to 8 mg/L
At the Cornell Nutrition Conference last October, water-quality expert Dave Beede offered a sneak peek into research on iron concentrations in the drinking water of dairy cattle. FULL STORY »
Does feeding frequency make a difference for wet calves?
Researchers at the University of Minnesota recently completed a study comparing the outcomes of feeding young calves milk replacer (both conventional and accelerated diets) four times a day versus two. FULL STORY »
Effects of milk replacer program on nutrient intake, growth
The aims of this study were to determine if feeding frequency (FF) of milk replacer (MR; meals/d) alters starter intake, growth and efficiency of growth in nursery calves fed a conventional or accelerated MR. FULL STORY »
Preference and drinking behavior of lactating dairy cows
Drinking water can contain high concentrations of Fe, mainly of the ferrous (Fe2+) valence. FULL STORY »
Consistency in rations can help reduce competition at feed bunk
We are learning more about the feeding behavior of dairy animals housed indoors. FULL STORY »
Brown midrib corn silage can result in longer peak milk yield
We’ve all heard the benefits of brown midrib (BMR) corn silage, owing to higher digestibility. FULL STORY »
- Yogurt nominated as New York’s ‘state snack’
- 6 of California’s Top 10 counties saw 2013 milk output declines
- USDA amends Appalachian, Southeast and Florida federal orders
- Legislation would block EPA from releasing producer information
- USDA: Livestock producers urged to keep good disaster records
- DHM Markets/Marketers: PA IOFC a record high
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- DHM Markets/Marketers: Fluid sales, cost of production, Chobani
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
H.J. Baker & Bro., Inc.