In addition to in-person and online training, Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health is offering translation services with these educational materials to assist in employee training.
“There are many steps to preventing residues that dairy employees will learn in this training,” Stewart says. “The day-to-day work of every employee who takes care of animals on the dairy is critical to ensuring milk and meat is residue-free.”
Some basic residue-prevention tips that are vital to every dairy operation are:
- Establish and maintain a strong relationship with a veterinarian
- Work with your veterinarian to develop and regularly review protocols for vaccination, treatment, product inventory, residue prevention and milk quality
- Develop a list of recommended and/or approved animal-health products for the various classes of animals
- Ensure all animal-health products are labeled properly, and keep inventory records
- Conduct employee and management training sessions on protocols and procedures
- Always follow label instructions for use, dose, administration, storage and withdrawal times
- Identify all treated animals
- Notify your veterinarian of any treatment errors, failures or product inventory issues
- If in doubt about residue status, contact your manager, owner and/or veterinarian for assistance in determining the animal’s status.
“Animal-health products are critical to keeping animals healthy and productive, and dairy producers must use them responsibly to ensure the wholesomeness and safety of our milk and meat supply,” Stewart says. “We are committed to partnering with veterinarians and dairy producers to reach this goal each and every day.”
For more information about preventing residues on your dairy, contact your veterinarian or animal-health representative.
About Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health
Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health, based in Boxmeer, the Netherlands, is focused on the research, development, manufacturing and marketing of animal health products. The company offers customers one of the broadest, most innovative animal health portfolios, spanning products to support performance and to prevent, treat and control disease in all major farm and companion animal species. Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health; subsidiaries of Merck & Co. Inc., Whitehouse Station NJ, USA. For more information, visit www.intervet.com.
Today's Merck is working to help the world be well. Through our medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and consumer and animal products, we work with customers and operate in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions. We also demonstrate our commitment to increasing access to health care through far-reaching programs that donate and deliver our products to the people who need them. For more information, visit www.merck.com.