Nothing beats a fresh, squeaky, perfectly-imperfect nugget of cheese. October 15 is #NationalCheeseCurdDay. Here are some facts you should know according to Post Crescent News.
- 10 lbs. of milk is required to produce 1 lb. of cheese curds.
- Technically, all styles of cheese start out as curds until they are shaped into the blocks or wheels we traditionally see.
- Ever wonder why cheese curds squeak? Elastic protein strands rub against the enamel of your teeth to create that high pitched noise, or “squeak.”
- Not squeaking? Pop the cheese curds in the microwave for a few seconds! The heat will warm up those proteins, allowing the curds to produce their unique sound.
- Who Started National Cheese Curd Day? The idea was submitted by a popular cheese curd serving fast food restaurant, Culvers!
Check out some of these photos we’ve been seeing on social media.