A barn fire in New York killed an estimated 250 head of cattle.
Authorities were notified on Jan. 6 at 11:08 am of a barn fire at 10306 Whittaker Rd. near the community of Trenton. First to the scene was the Trenton Joint Fire District, composed of the Barneveld Fire Department and Holland Patent Fire Department.
No people were injured during the fire according to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office, however the barn was completely destroyed and approximately 250 cattle died.
“Due to the smoke and flames and high heat, we were unable to get any of the animals out,” says Trenton Joint Fire District Chief Kevin Kalk.
The barn also held 10,000 small square bales and the fire crews used donated excavators to tear the tin roof off and put out hot spots in the hay bales. It took approximately 50 minutes to get the fire under control, but the hay is expected to continue smoldering for the next few days.
The cause of the fire is believed to be an electrical malfunction in a tractor stored at the barn.
Assisting with the fire were the Floyd Fire Department, Stittville Fire Department, Remsen Fire Department, Deerfield Fire Department, Western Fire Department, National Grid, STaR Ambulance, AmCare Ambulance and New York State Police.
Friends of the family who experienced the fire shared their condolences and prayers on Facebook with several photos. Here is a sampling of the posts:
For advice on preventing barn fires read the following stories: