One Month Left to Apply for Coronavirus Payments

Rustic crossroads sign. ( Farm Journal, Inc. )

Farmers have until Friday, August 28, to apply for Coronavirus Food Assistance (CFAP) aid payments at their local USDA Farm Service Agency office.

USDA reports this week that it has paid out $6.552 billion to 473,124 applicants. Of that, $1.286 billion has gone to dairy farmers for losses to milk checks brought on the COVID-19 pandemic.

The amount paid out to individuals to date represents 80% of their claimed COVID-19 losses. USDA is  holding the other 20% in reserve to ensure that it has sufficient funds to cover at least 80% of applicants’ claims. Since $16 billion was allocated to CFAP, it’s very likely funds will not be exhausted.

Bill Northey, USDA’s undersecretary for farm production and conservation, says farmers can expect to receive the remaining 20% by the end of August

For more information on the CFAP program, how to apply and where, click here.