When a Farm Truck Becomes a Rolling Shop

Time is money to J.D. Dulaney, but he was losing time constantly running from field to shop. A single trip out of the field carried little consequence, but over the course of a season, the efficiency waste mounted to a slow bleed that ultimately affected all areas of his operation.

Dulaney, who farms 4,000 acres with Gen 4 Farms in Clarksdale, Miss., was driving a typical large pickup with a Pack Rat toolbox in the bed. The toolbox, along with an air compressor, took up most of the bed and left little room for hauling. “Even if it was just a roll of poly, I’d have to use a trailer. I kept asking myself, ‘Where can I make myself more efficient?’”

A flatbed truck option made sense to Dulaney, but he knew tool placement was the key to efficiency. For six months he thought over the design, picked his placement, ordered the parts, and in just under two days, assembled what serves as a moving office. Dulaney did the labor by himself in the Gen 4 shop. The result was a skirted, KnapHeide flatbed on a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD crewcab, rigged with farm tool essentials.

Dulaney mounted a Quick Draw toolbox at the front of the bed and welded a wire rack on top. The toolbox slides out 60% on either truck side, allowing total access. It includes a tool organizer and Dulaney sectioned it for sockets, big wrenches, hand tools, drills, spray cans, and much more. On the driver’s side of the bed, he set a tailgate box beside the Quick Draw for air gauges, snap wring pliers, and Allen wrenches. Beside the tailgate box, he built a catch-all basket for ratchet straps, hammers and utility items. A hose reel is mounted beside the tailgate box. “The bed cost $4,200 and the Quick Draw box cost me $1,000. Everything else was in hand, but just had to be configured,” Dulaney says.

JD DULANEY 3

Dulaney fitted his cooler with a hydraulic adapter and ball valve with a 1’ hose. “Now I have a place to wash my hands in the middle of a field and I’ve always got clean water to rinse a part.”

© Chris Benentt

Beside the hose reel sits a K2 cooler held by two eye bolts and turnbuckles to prevent sliding and theft. On the backside of the K2 cooler, the drain plug is fitted with half-inch straight threads. “I screwed in a hydraulic adapter and ball valve with a 1’ hose. Now I have a place to wash my hands in the middle of a field and I’ve always got clean water to rinse a part.”

On the passenger bed-side, and air compressor is mounted on a metal plate atop a rubber mat. The compressor is easily removable: When Dulaney pulls a gooseneck, he takes out the four bolts, unplugs the power supply, and it’s off in minutes. The bed is covered with a tough horse stall mat which prevents the sliding and bunching of normal truck mats. At the end of the bed sits a vice – on-site no matter where Dulaney goes on the farm.

Dulaney has a Ranch Hand Bullnose front bumper on the Chevrolet 2500HD – no more worries about collision damage from deer or wild pigs across the operation. A football goal-style rack can be inserted in seconds into a front receiver to carry pipe or suction lines along the headache rack – no trailer required.

JD DULANEY 2

© Chris Benentt

“The time savings are stacking up to an incredible degree. It cuts down drastically on my travel time. I wish I’d have done this 10 years ago. I’ll never have another regular bed truck to work my farm. Some guys might want to consider a long-wheel base instead of a short-wheel base like mine, but that’s just something everybody has to decide for themselves.”

At harvest, Dulaney’s flatbed truck follows combines and 18-wheelers as the last vehicle into the fields. “If something breaks, everything we need to make the fix is there. Between my truck and the cellphone, that’s all I need to get back up and running.”

Jeff Talley, Talley Planting Co., farms 6,000 acres across four Mississippi counties and loses big chunks of time each season driving between fields and shop. After seeing Dulaney’s truck setup, Talley decided to craft a similar design. “I’ll have a flatbed system close to J.D.’s next year. I need what his truck offers – a rolling shop.”

Labor and efficiency sometimes mix like oil and water on a farm, an imbalance that often surfaces at pressure points – planting, critical irrigation periods, and harvest. At Gen 4 Farms, Dulaney can’t hold back the time clock, but he’s rigged a work-truck with a purpose-driven design that allows him to attack problems across his operation without ever leaving the fields.

JD DULANEY 4

“I wish I’d have done this 10 years ago. I’ll never have another regular bed truck to work my farm,” Dulaney says.

© Chris Benentt

Any downside to the flatbed system? “Yes. My wife says it looks ugly,” Dulaney laughs. “But I don’t care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done.”

Comments

Restricted HTML

• Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
Submitted by Kavya Sharma on Tue, 12/26/2017 - 05:59

Awesome post written here.After reading this particular post I feel that content writers now a days have become more aware about the current writing skills and techniques.

Submitted by Calvin on Wed, 12/27/2017 - 00:41

Thanks for sharing your precious ideas with us.I also belong to a farmers family and share your ideas with my father and other relatives it's very helpful for them.

Submitted by stjannifer on Tue, 01/02/2018 - 23:42

Fixingblog is one of the best Tech Blog. Here you will get all kind of solution like Setup, Installation, Connection issue etc related to Routers, Range Extender, Windows, Printer etc.

Submitted by Antivirus Daddy on Wed, 01/03/2018 - 00:26

Antivirus Daddy is one of the leading Techincal Support Site for antivirus. We are providing free online support For all antivirus like McAfee, Norton & AVG etc.

Check out our site https://antivirusdaddy.com/

We always love to help you.

Submitted by Techvaidya on Wed, 01/03/2018 - 00:51

We are here to discuss the latest trending Device Netgear wireless router. So, how exactly fix this Netgear wireless router setup/Reset/troubleshooting and activation function. Let me take you through this. Netgear wireless router was introduced as the world's fastest grip on the device. For more details kindly visit https://techvaidya.com

Submitted by sanababy786 on Thu, 01/04/2018 - 07:21

Extremely pleasant article, I delighted in perusing your post, exceptionally decent share, I need to twit this to my devotees. Much obliged!

Submitted by cisco customer support on Mon, 01/08/2018 - 04:11

Sometimes a malfunctioning firewall causes your system to crash.This bad for your business. Before you do anything else, make sure to give us a call. There is nothing our technical team cannot handle. We will make sure that your problem is resolved first before anything else. Cisco Customer Service

In reply to by David Den (not verified)

Submitted by john on Mon, 01/08/2018 - 03:38

I am sure this post has touched all the internet users, its really really fastidious paragraph on building up new blog.
Apple airport customer service

Submitted by Cisco customer service on Mon, 01/08/2018 - 04:04

Stunning variables on a very basic level ordinarily easy to work. This would without a doubt of times critical by and by while a large number of us discover license you to leave on your site.

Submitted by Apple AirPort Customer Support on Mon, 01/08/2018 - 06:13

Like all routers, the ones manufactured by Asus also need a proper setup. When setting up the Asus router you have to provide multiple credentials and messing up even one digit can hinder your internet from working.
Linksys Customer Support

Submitted by Alisha on Tue, 01/09/2018 - 01:17

I really happy to see this post because all the information in this post is excellent and very interesting. Escorts Agency in South Delhi

Submitted by nehasharma on Wed, 01/10/2018 - 05:41

Great post I really like this post all the details are in this post very helpful for me this perfect site for my need.

Submitted by UC browser support on Thu, 01/11/2018 - 03:08

we provide the best service of the user who is face any problem that is related to the browser so you can contact our team.https://about.me/mozillafirefox

Submitted by Angels on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 02:34

Excellent and affordable publish. I came across this much useful, as to what I was exactly looking for. Thanks for such publish and please keep on talking about with us

Submitted by Alka on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 06:07

I am very happy with the content of your article it is very beneficial and I wait for the next article to update the information again. http://www.alkatalwar.com/

Submitted by roll the ball on Mon, 01/15/2018 - 21:31

This is great websites, I visited some of them but I didn't know that Google offers free games.And this is I play free flash games in this websites.
- http://rolltheball.co/
- http://impossiblegame.co/

Submitted by davidden119@gmail.com on Wed, 01/17/2018 - 00:57

Antivirus guide contains the antivirus tech information which provides to the user to get resolve their antivirus technical issues. antivirus guide

Submitted by Bo on Thu, 01/18/2018 - 12:57

Commercial Property To Let |
Historic Hotels For Sale |
class a office building for sale |

• warehouse for rent |
    Commercial Property Listing Services |
    Reits |
    Resort Hotel For Sale |
    Search Commercial Real Estate |
    business broker |
    Agent Commercial Property |
    commercial real estate mortgage broker |
    resorts for sale |
    industrial real estate |
    Shopping Malls For Sale |
    Commercial Property News |
    Commercial Property Listing For Sale |
  • warehouse for sale |
    commercial business for sale |
    Business Space For Rent |
    Commercial Real Estate Broker In Los Angeles |
    Commercial Real Estate Lenders |
    Warehouse For Sale In Miami |
    commercial real estate agents miami |
    Industrial Lease Property |
    Warehouses For Sale In Miami |
    Listing Broker |
    Office Park Development |
    Rent Space Warehouse |
    Hotel Sale |
    Office Building Sale |
    Officespace For Lease |
    Miami Commercial Real Estate |
    Hotel Broker |
  • warehouses for lease |
    office building for sale nyc |
    Commercial Property Mls |
  • warehouse for rent in miami |
    office space rental rates |
    hotel motel for sale |
    Miami office space for sale |
  • warehouses for rent |
    industrial real estate for sale |
    Mall For Sale |
    corporate relocation |
    Commercial Listing Mls Porperty |
  • Motels For Sale |
    Commercial Listings |
    Property Rent |
    Comercial Properties For Sell |
    atlanta office space for rent |
    Realtor Commercial |
    Rent Warehouse Space |
    Medical Office Buildings |
    Business Real Estate For Sale |
    Commercial Office Space For Lease |
    Office Space Rental |
  • Commercial Real Estate Loan |
    warehouse space for sale |
    warehouses |
    Agent Commercial Estate Real |
    Miami warehouses for sale |
    Hotels Motel For Sale |
    miami commercial real estate brokers |
    office buildings for sale nyc |
    Commercial Real Estate Property Listings |
    Commercial Office Space For Rent |
  • commercial real estate |
  • warehouse for rent miami |
    Warehouse Space Rental |

Lease Nyc Office Space |
    warehouse |
    Manhattan Office Space |
  • Categories

Meta

Submitted by Google Play Music Customer Service on Thu, 01/18/2018 - 23:51

Your Google Music Not Working well? Don't worry contact to Google Play Music Customer Service or visit http://techsites.webstarts.com/

Submitted by Epson Printer Support on Thu, 01/18/2018 - 23:51

Thanks for making such a cool post which is really very well written. I will be referring a lot of friends about this. Keep blogging! https://gettek.site123.me/

Submitted by AOL Customer Service on Sat, 01/20/2018 - 01:16

AOL support are here to provide you help for support service for all the issues you are facing regarding your AOL.we will solve them fast with the huge tech support team so you don't have to wait for you turn

Submitted by rebeccahickshq on Sun, 01/21/2018 - 08:47

Thank you so much for sharing such useful and interesting information. Your website is highly effective and contains worthy content. I find it more enjoyable than any other show.
    bloons tower defense 5

Submitted by OHSAS 18001 Audit in Egypt on Mon, 01/22/2018 - 03:32

nice article,very interesting to read this article thank you for sharing this

CE mark Certification in Iran

Submitted by Sania on Mon, 01/22/2018 - 23:38

thanks for this article you have to be shared at this time.Your site is truly cool and this is an extraordinary moving article.what a brilliant post I have come across and believed me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this.

Submitted by Microsoft Support on Wed, 01/24/2018 - 00:13

If you have any query related to the Xbox and another software then you can visit us because we have all types of solutions. http://id.kaywa.com/mssupport

Submitted by Norton support on Fri, 02/09/2018 - 12:10

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so I think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.
    Antivirus Support |
    Norton customer service number
    Norton chat Support
    Norton technicalSupport
    Norton 360 phone Support
    Norton 360 customer service
    Norton antivirus contact number
    Norton antivirus customer service phone number
    contact Norton
    Norton telephone number
    Norton Support |
    Norton phone number |
    Norton tollfree , vipre support

In reply to by Xbox Customer … (not verified)

Submitted by Dell Customer service on Mon, 01/29/2018 - 04:34

We have a team of highly trained technicians working 24×7 to resolve your problem.  If you are facing any query related to Dell product simply call Dell Customer Service or visit, We solve all your problem: http://www.bagtheweb.com/u/dellservice001/profile

Submitted by Namii on Tue, 02/06/2018 - 15:57