USDA Shells Out Another $228 Million in CFAP Payments

Money and markets matter in the dairy industry. ( Farm Journal Media )

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) issued another $228 million in Coronavirus Financial Assistance Program (CFAP) payments over the past week.

To date, USDA has issued a total of $895,310,302.90 in CFAP dairy payments. Total CFAP payments to all farmers is just over $1 billion.

Some 15,222 dairy farmers have received payments thus far, approaching 50 percent of the total number of dairy farmers in the country. The average payment works out to just under $59,000 per farm. (Note: This amount represents 80 percent of what farmers are owed under the program. The remaining 20 percent or some portion of that will be disbursed once all applications are in and if CFAP funds are still available.) 

Wisconsin continues to lead the country in dairy CFAP payments, with nearly $202 million disbursed to 3,804 farmers. California is second, with disbursements of $108 million to 673 farmers. New York is third, with $101 million paid out 1,843 farmers. 

For a complete list of state-by-state payments, click here.